Sunday, June 19, 2011

Remembering Dad!

Happy Father’s Day!
My dad was not a great cook, but he was inventive.  As a child I remember dad seizing the the kitchen to prepare one of his infamous dishes. His process of preparing a dish was from his life experiences so he never used a cook book. My father was born in the 1920’s in Georgia and grew up in a time where one could not be fastidious about their next meal.  It was pertinent that he learn a few basic cooking techniques for survival.

Although my mom and grandmother prepared most of meals for the family, Dad had moments when he wanted to make one his own dishes.  A few of his favorite dishes were Oyster Stew, Cow brains and Eggs, Fish heads, Orka Stew, Homemade Sausage  and Fried Catfish.  I remember being afraid to enter the kitchen because there was a bucket of live catfish in the room. But that memory is quickly offset by memory of eating the most delicious fried catfish.  My dad knew he was not a great cook and was not offended if his children didn’t like some of his delicacies.   I love my dad because he was a man that provided for his family; he love us and spent time with us; and he set an example for us to do and be the best person we could be.
My dad past on almost eight years ago but he is alive in my heart. I’m sure he would love for you to try one of his favorite dishes.  

Joe’s Oyster Stew

1 can Shucked Oysters (8 oz)

1 tablespoon butter

½ of small onion (medium diced)

1 garlic clove finely diced

1 cup milk

Pinch cayenne pepper

Salt & pepper to taste

Preparation:

Melt butter in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until transparent. Add oysters with liquid and milk and simmer very gently for about 2½  to 4 minutes. Do not let stew boil.

When the oysters are cooked, season the stew with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.

Remove from heat and with your favorite bread.

Makes 1 to 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment